I had a recurring dream last night. It was about my stumbling on all these stray kittens and cats. I try to take them home, but then there are more and more. I have different versions of the dream, but it's always the same: I can't save them all. I don't need Carl Jung resurrected to interpret the dream. I know it' s my frustration at not being able to save all the strays.
I love all animals. In fact, I became a vegetarian about ten years ago because I no longer wanted to be responsible for killing animals to eat. I know that one vegetarian isn't going to stop animals from being bred in horrible conditions and slaughtered, but at least my conscience is clear. For some reason, I am especially partial to cats and horses. I like dogs and I own one, but somehow it's cats that tear my heart strings the most---all cats, big and small.
I do what I can but I never feel that it's enough. All six of my cats are rescued animals. I donate at least 10% of my profits on Etsy to animal charities. I crochet shelter snugglies for no kill shelters so dogs and cats can have a cozy blanket to help their comfort in cages. I leave out dry food and and have a bed lined with fake fur blankets for the ferals I see running around up here on the mountain.But once again, I never feel like it's enough. As a child, I always dreamed of having a huge place where I could adopt all the strays and give them food and shelter. But I know as an adult that this is unrealistic. There will always be more just like in my dreams. But the realization doesn't make me feel any better. I'll just keep doing what I do and hope that it in some way helps.
No comments:
Post a Comment